Fictional Website Assignment Step by Step
Week at A Glance
Principles of Web Design
- A clear purpose
- Speedy load times (not applicable to assignment)
- Mobile friendly (not applicable to assignment)
Create a WordPress account using your school email. If you already have an account (with school login) click the login button.
Either on a printer piece of paper or in a Google Doc. Identify what you want to sell (items as of 2022 ONLY allowed ; no dystopian ideas). I have 20 ideas written below (you don’t have to use any of them if you don’t want to). At the bottom of this page is a form. Fill that out with what your product is.
- Makeup like sephora
- Smartwatches like fitbit
- Custom Water bottles like waterbottles
- Art Supplies like michaels
- Custom Design Mugs like discountmugs
- Custom Wall Art like etsy
- Custom Backpacks like customink
- Custom Tote Bags like zazzle
- Smart Home Accessories (example: smart home accessory ideas)
- Gardening Supplies like lowes
- Custom Furniture Designs like wayfair
- Bookstore like barnesandnoble
- Children Toys like lakeshore
- Custom Beach Towel Designs like beachtowels
- Custom Designed Notebooks / Calendars like moo
- Bird Feeders like chewy
- Pet Accessories like petsmart
- Educational resources like teacherspayteachers
- Online courses for a complex subject like w3schools
- Online PowerPoint / Google Slides templates like slidescarnival
Create your site in WordPress. Name it something related to your product like “Samuel’s Seashells” or CustomRayFurniture. Select the free option when creating your site (no need to pay). It should have “<websitename>.wordpress.com” if you signed up correctly.
This is where things get fun! Give your peer editing access to your site. Just like the Peer Reviews we did a few weeks back. You will be creating the website based on your peer’s request. Click here for tutorial on how to share website editing access.
Once you have feel the website is at it’s best design and finished. Post the link on this Canvas Discussion so everyone can see your work. Email your peer when you are finished editing their site.
For Clarification: Share your own website. Not the peer’s you edited.
Please have fun with this and don’t feel stressed about it. If you want to have extra fun with the site you are editing you can use resources linked below or just Google Search whatever.
- Add a Logo: https://www.canva.com/
- All the Blocks: https://wordpress.com/support/wordpress-editor/blocks/